Faye Mackenzie Hill

We found out on April 20th, 2016 that we were pregnant with our first child. Our little girl was due on December 24th, 2016. We were so happy and excited to welcome her into our lives. While pregnant we bought a house, worked on renovations, and did all that we could to make sure that Faye would have the very best.

Monday, November 21st, 2016 started out like any other day. Faye moved as she normally did when she and Corrie played their tummy game. The last time Corrie felt her move was between 4:00 and 6:00 pm. At one point, Faye kicked so hard that Corrie’s hand went flying up. Later in the evening Corrie began having some abdominal and lower back pain. The on-call midwife was called, who said that the pain may be due to Faye readjusting and recommended positions that Corrie could sit in to help Faye move. She was told if things worsened, to call back. After a while it became clear that we needed to call the midwife back. A rush of blood came down as Ian was helping Corrie to the guest bedroom. We were told that we were going into pre-term labor and needed to get to Methodist Hospital right away. We rushed to the hospital and believed that we would soon meet our sweet little girl. At first our providers could not detect a heart beat and believed that Faye had passed; however, the pediatrician stated that she could hear a faint heart beat. Corrie was rushed to the operating room for an emergency C-section. Faye was born at 12:33 am on November 22nd! She was 35 weeks and 3 days old. It was during the operation that the team discovered that Corrie had a severe placental abruption. The placenta had completely separated from the uterine wall, depriving Faye of vital nutrients and oxygen, and putting Corrie’s life in danger due to major blood loss. The team immediately started to apply CPR on Faye, as she was not breathing and had no heartbeat. After 22 minutes, Ian was brought in to be shown what the team was doing and to let us know that she could not be saved; however, her heart miraculously started beating again as Ian held her small little hand! After Corrie came to, we were presented with a choice: to send Faye to Children’s Hospital where they would chill her for a few days in hopes of minimizing brain damage resulting from being without oxygen for so long, or to spend time with her as a family. The pediatrician explained that chances were very slim that Faye could be saved, and even if she were that she would need life support for the rest of her life. Corrie and Ian decided that they could not put Faye through that pain, and decided to spend whatever time allowed as a family. Faye was able to hold on for 6 hours and 17 minutes, which we were told was a miracle for how long she was without oxygen. She passed at 6:50 am that same morning. We spent the next three days in the hospital as Corrie recovered and was stabilized. During that time we were able to be with Faye, as she was placed in a cuddle cot. A CuddleCot is an in room cooling unit that is the size of a small humidifier. This gift of time allows precious hours for bonding, pictures, molds to be taken as well as other memory making projects and other family members to come and meet the baby. The cuddle cot allowed us to have more time with our precious daughter and fulfill some dreams of ours with Faye over the next few days. Faye remained with Corrie and Ian, in their arms and in the arms of their family. She was, and always will be, loved. Please help us raise money so that other families can have more time with their precious babies. This time is irreplaceable, as it allows families to try and condense a lifetime’s worth of memories into a few short days.

To donate to Faye's Cuddle Cot, click HERE

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
Mailing Address
PO Box 86
Watertown, MN 55388
(952) 737-7437